Thursday, October 8, 2009

An Olive Guild

For a while now I've been pondering how to do an olive guild in a large pot/bucket. Erm, let me back up and explain what a guild is first, I guess. It's when you use permaculture design to plant different plants together in a way that is at least neutral if not beneficial to each other- while also taking advantage of the different layers of plants (canopy, vine, bush, ground cover, etc). So yes, I've decided to do this in a large pot and I want an olive tree in the middle as the canopy layer. From there I'm not sure. There are lots of mixed report on the internets about what grows best with olives. Should I do it as an Italian guild with tomato, basil, and garlic? Should I do it as something else? So far, I have the bucket. At least I'm making progress...

-Fauna

No comments:

Post a Comment